Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ready, Set, Go! . . . or Not


The above phrase is probably one of my little guy's favorites. It often sends him running down a long hallway or sidewalk (until he figures out that it's a trick being used to get him to finish our walk without me carrying him).  Between school and home, I spend a large portion of my time and energy motivating others.  The jury is still out on who takes more convincing: my son to be still for a diaper change or the high school senior athlete who doesn't want to read Chaucer in Middle English.

However, the result of all this is that I'm not very good at conjuring the energy to motivate myself.  Somehow my brain has just enough energy to shoot out 3 or 4 excuses for inaction, and then my do-to list dissipates into bits of "necessary" research and reading, cooking, and clutter-cleaning instead of the larger tasks I ought to tackle.  In addition, my little man really likes to be underfoot if he senses any productivity going on while he's awake.

The crazy thing is that I have all the leadership and organizational training to work efficiently.  I know how to eat well and supplement to keep my energy up.  And yet . . . nothing.

Recently, I've been reflecting on how my ideals can easily become my false reason for laziness.  I focus on my ideal until I've realized that I let myself down.  Then, I become entangled in my own tiredness and frustration and accomplish zip.  Let me paint you a picture:
  • We got back from a trip late late last night and I know I ought to clean the house and start on some of my projects.
  • However, I was so tired that I couldn't get myself out of bed to get started on anything by the time my boys were already up.
  • Then, we remembered that our new oven was being delivered today.  [Keep in mind that our downstairs looks like the lost baggage office of the airport combined with the clearance toy aisle on Black Friday.]
  • Meanwhile, James was rather "sensitive" (aka cranky) this morning after all the traveling and some congestion.
  • So, my morning was spent making breakfast, cleaning the half of the kitchen that surrounded the oven, and taking a walk with James to keep him distracted until nap time.
  • Nap time starts, oven arrives; I feel too tired to get anything further done so I try reading for school--too tired to concentrate; I try sleeping--phone rings and my mind is too busy; I try working--I can't even focus on getting anything done and am puttering about.
  • My ideal after-travel day is down the drain by 1:30, and I resort to blogging. [Sorry!]
The funny thing is, if I just decided on one small task and ate lunch before it to get my energy back up, I'd probably be fine.  However, my time management goes all to pieces when there's no pressure and I end up here.

I wish I needed suggestions; but, I already know what I ought to do and how I avoid the present moment and tasks at hand by focusing on my failed ideals and then becoming nearly inert.

What I probably need is a good kick in the pants and several solid nights' sleep.  Or a cheerleader, or a helper.  Anyone want to come and visit?  :)  I'm great at social work!  (The type where you work while socializing, not the find good homes for abused kids sort.)

Ok, I'm going to go follow my own advice.  Best of luck to any of you who have also hit the summer slump.

pic

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

Kelly, have you ever read "A Mother's Rule?" by Holly Pierlot? It was AMAZING for me...and really gave me a 'kick in the pants'. I find myself constantly referring back to it for inspiration.

Good luck!

(Fun to have you back blogging!)

Cynthia said...

Um...excuse the poor grammar...sheesh. Two babies have got my brain in a mush...or maybe that's how it's always been.

Who knows ;^)

Kelly Jo said...

I didn't even notice any grammatical problems and am super interested to read that book! Sounds good. :) Thanks for the recommendation.

Adrienne said...

I have days like that--no work because I'm just...not motivated. I have found with Richard being gone, I go into these crazy cleaning binges when I get stressed or excited or...anything.

Though, I don't recommend getting rid of your husband just for the sake of cleaning your house. But, I do like the aforementioned book--I have it if you want to borrow it. Totally don't mind sticking it in the mail. Shoot me a message if you want it. You're in my prayers, dear!

Related Posts with Thumbnails