Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Clutter Clutter Everywhere and Not a Spot to Think

It's amazing how quickly the clutter monster invades my house on busy weeks.  I'm pretty sure he's secretly teaching James bad habits too, because I certainly didn't propose "Tupperware terror" as a new game idea.

I think that's what my mom was warning me about years ago when she told me to put away one thing before I took something else out.  At the time, I thought that inhibited my creativity ("I can't!  I'm using both of those things right now!")  Now, I'm just not sure it's humanly possible--at least not for someone 2/3 sanguine.  There have certainly been times when I reach the "if there is no visible dirt line, mold, or dust balls, it's good to go" state of mind.  I don't think I'll ever reach the level of pristine perfection my grandparents have achieved.

However, several motivating factors are capable of making me drop every other thing on my eternal check-list and do some hard-core scrubbing and sorting:

1) A guest coming--It's a very good thing for us to have at least one over-night guest and one dinner guest or play-date a month.  That way both the upstairs and down get a very thorough going over once or twice a month.

2) Major frustration (esp. if Larry's not in the mood to distract me in another way)--When life seems like it's taking over and I'm overly involved in situations that I can't change, I show life that I still can change something and go to town on anything dirty that's within arm's reach.

3) Larry says something--This is a rarity, and my usual, initial (interior) reaction is to mark his small comment as vastly unjustified.  However, then the bit of humility that helps inform my conscience kicks in, and I ignore all else until I can justify myself as a decent housewife again.

Someday . . .
I just hope that when I hit the pearly gates God will ask me something about love and not ironing.  Though, His standard of loving is pretty darn high too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails