Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Only So Much Space & Time

The events and schedule changes at the beginning of a new school year have come tumbling towards me like waves, faster than I can anticipate and react to each.  Thus, blogging got sucked away into the undercurrent of life for a while.  I feel that I have little energy or time to devote here, yet I know that continuing to write helps my mental sharpness rather than further dulling a weary mind.  Hopefully, I'll post some insights on class materials and related thoughts in the near future.

Meanwhile, I'm experiencing a rare phenomenon--my brain is nearing its multitasking capacity.  I'm teaching 5 wildly different literary topics each day; most requiring extensive personal reading and preparation.  Oh, and then there's normal life to think about as well.  Fortunately, I have a generous, loving husband who picks up some of the pieces (literally and figuratively) of my life that get lost in the tizzy.

There are things I would change if I could--leisure (and not mayhem) is supposed to be the best environment for shaping culture.  Yet, it's also thrilling to feel that I'm on the brink of something grand, something much larger than myself, of which I am only a small cog.  I'm on the edge of my son's transition into toddler-hood, the edge of my husband's ambitions, the edge of the mental formation of a hundred-plus students, the edge of a great springtime within the Church, and the edge of who I might be as a housewife and scholar and artist.  That edge sometimes chafes and cuts, but it is a horizon of hope as well.  And, like Frost's chosen road, that makes all the difference.

Image: http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/students/waves/images/hokusai_wave_1.jpg

2 comments:

The Gingers said...

we REALLY MUST catch up! xoxoxox

Sarah said...

I love that analogy of the edge as a horizon of hope. It's very inspiring :-) Good luck managing all your exciting new schedule events.

Related Posts with Thumbnails