Monday, June 21, 2010

My Twirling Mind: Googoo, Gaga, & Gye

When we think of a mom multitasking, we often picture her talking on the phone, catching the cabinet door before it smashes an inquisitive baby's fingers, and washing the dishes . . . simultaneously.  [Oh wait, that wasn't a stereotype, that was me about 3 minutes ago.]  However, a mother must multitask not only physically but also mentally.  I'm going to qualify how this happens in my life through 3 nonsense words: Googoo, Gaga, & Gye.

GooGoo
This is my "mom-brain" mode.  I speak gibberish with my son and he responds in kind.  I ask him about his little life in my higher-pitched "talking to something small and cute voice".  Sometimes, it's easier to talk to my husband (or about my husband) in the same tone, just to avoid switching too much.  "James!  Does Jameser's like avocado for dinner? Mmmmmm!  How about Dada?  Does Dada want beer with dinner tonight?  Yay for beer after long days at work!"  Ahem.  I mean, "Hun, do want a beer or iced tea?"
Sometimes after a long day in "mommy mode", it's difficult to switch out.  It's especially hard to interpolate intellectual or spiritual reading into my schedule.  "James, can you play nicely with your blocks while Mommy tries to learn Middle English?  Yay blocks!"  Yes, I am that crazy.

Gaga
As in Lady Gaga.  I know very little about her . . . I like it that way.  However, I teach teens and I live in the world.  Thus, it is prudent and useful for me to know something about what's going on beyond the front doors of my house or the school.  Being connected to current issues and events also helps me to discuss something "adult" but not work-related with my husband over dinner.  I also think it is crucial to be an informed voter in a society that's moral standing is tenuous at best.

Yet, I must be careful of two things: first, that my time online or listening to talk radio does not absorb an inordinate amount of time, and secondly, that I do not lose my virtue of hope or charity as I listen to the disheartening fusillade of attacks on human dignity, modesty, discretion, peace, truth, etc. that make up the majority of "news".

Thus, this secondary form of "mental multitasking" is the attempt to live in this world, as I am called to do as an adult, Christian citizen.

Gye
Gye is not really a nonsense word; it just sounds like one to the modern audience.  It is actually the Middle English verb for "to guide".  Since I'm currently studying that form of English, this term will suffice to represent for me my call both to seek guidance in my life and to be a guide to others, especially to my child.  Therefore, the tertiary mental mode that I must attempt to develop is that of an intellectual and spiritual person.

Depending on one's natural aptitude for such things, the "intellectual life" of several mothers could all look rather different.  I think what's important is that we seek some adult conversation and reading to incorporate into our lives that helps us to learn how to be a better person.  I've read that the best way for a dad to be a good father is for him to love his wife unconditionally.  This points towards a truth that applies to mothers as well.  When I myself am a good person (or at least am striving to be saintly), I am serving my children.  Parents are the primary educators of their children.  As such, we must be actively thinking people, not passive receptors of advice, news, cultural trends, and modes of behavior.  Our children need to see integrity and discernment practiced by their parents.

Our intellectual lives are intimately linked with our spiritual lives; our intellect is an active principle of our souls.  [Please, don't rake me over the coals for the philosophical inexactitude of that statement.]  Our intellect should (ideally) govern our wills, and it is in our chosen activities that we live out our moral lives.

For example, I read a great book like The Hidden Power of Kindness for a few minutes before bed.  I reflect on what I have read and apply it to myself and realize that I have not been as considerate of others as I could be by failing to be on time.  The next day, remembering the previous reflection, even though my passions say, "Sleep in late.  Take it easy this morning.  Rushing around won't help you start the day on a good foot," I know that I need to be on time for an appointment.  My intellectual knowledge of the good helps me reorient my will to chose the best action, and I stumble toward the shower.

This last area of mental development calls us to a life beyond the pressing needs of the moment.  This is the "not of the world" component of the Christian life that focuses us on our eternal purpose and on the deeper significance of our sometimes mundane tasks.  Taking time to reorient our lives according to a truth beyond ourselves helps us to live for others and to live for God; this mental practice enriches our lives.

The Catch
A person a peace is not divided and is not artificial.  How do I switch between mom with son, wife with spouse, and teacher with students modes and yet stay at peace?  How do I gracefully live life as a loving woman who lives in but not of this world?

I've heard it takes a lot of practice and patience to be able successfully to juggle three balls.  I have not yet tried juggling for more than about 15 minutes.  Juggling these three mental modes can be challenging.  The pursuit of wisdom is not a task for the faint of heart.  I certainly don't have it figured out yet; I am continually realizing that I am neglecting one or two of the above mental modes.  Occasionally, I feel that I'm failing at all three [when I'm in "zombie overload mode" and just want a glass of wine and a stupid chick flick.]  However, I know that it's a worthy pursuit.

Proverbs 14:1
The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.

I want to build up my husband and children and friends.  I want to create a home that will be a safe haven of virtue and peace and a thriving source of life and love.  If Wisdom will help me to accomplish those goals, then God help me to seek her.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

What do you do to balance and develop these "mental modes" in your life?


Image:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3451/3900229689_f95d1fed37.jpg

1 comment:

The Gingers said...

Beautiful Kelly, just beautiful. I so enjoy reading your posts. Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails